Saturday, July 28, 2012

E-Sports: Not your Mama's sports

As the London Olympics begin, I began to consider if I would ever see Street Fighter or any other highly competitive video game competed for a gold medal. Then quickly I realized if chess doesn't get in, there is no chance in hell any video game will feel the warmth of the olympic fire.

But with leagues like MLG, events like Evo, and games with the professional following of Starcraft 2, I don't belive there is really any need to compete with actual sports. Because its not. Its a place where your only limited by the your time invested and finger dexterity from being a pro. Where you may know just as much if not more than the player playing of a ceratin Dan vs Blanka matchup because of a annoying kid you played online or at an arcade. Its where you can go on youtube and discover new technology in the form of a high traffic and advantageous CounterStrike map route or learn from the best by seeing exactly what they are seeing in matches on youtube, twitch archives, and MLG VODs.

As of right now I'm preparing for a Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown tournament and some Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur 5 casuals. If I stick with it and play people that can help me learn, before I know it I could be at the Grand Finals of EVO playing Fuudo for a championship next year. Guess we'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment